Throughout the course of his more than forty years professional practice Angel Tejada has intervened in over eighty arbitrations of all types (domestic, international, ad hoc and institutional with ICC, LCIA, AAA, CIAC, TAS, GAFTA, FOSFA, CEA, CAM, CIMA, TAB) and is widely recognised in the sector:
- Quoted in the section “Litigation and Arbitration” (European Legal Experts)
- Referred to as “well-know practitioner” (The Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa).
- Referred to as “recommended individual” (“Litigation and arbitration” en PLC Global Counsel 3000 and Which lawyer Yearbook).
- “National and international arbitration expertise, in addition to general commercial practice” (Which lawyer? Dispute Resolution: The law and leading lawyers worldwide, Global Counsel Handbooks).
- “A discreet and hard-working lawyer who mainly acts as counsel in arbitration proceedings” (Chambers & Partners).
- “Widely recognised national and international arbitration expertise” (Which Lawyer).
- “Expert in Commercial Arbitration” (The Legal Media Group Guides to the World’s Leading Lawyers).
- “An exceptional lawyer, highly respected by the market” (Chambers & Partners).
- Admitted to the Madrid Bar in 1980.
- 1972-1976: Degree in Law (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)
Ángel M. Tejada is fluent in Spanish, French and English.
Ángel Tejada is a Member of the Arbitration Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and The Spanish Arbitration Club (Club Español de Arbitraje) and guest speaker and lecturer on commercial arbitration at the Politécnica and Carlos III Universities in Madrid and of the Universidad de León, at the Madrid and Bilbao Bar and with private institutions and organisations.
Representative arbitration experience
Ángel Tejada has intervened in arbitrations on many occasions (execution of works contracts, bank and financial intermediation contracts, portfolio management) and is professionally involved in, amongst others, the following:
- Counsel for a group of companies belonging to an important mutual benefit society in five ICC international arbitrations in accordance with the BIT subscribed by Spain and the Republic of Cuba with regard to the acquisition of land, construction and development of hotel places in Varadero y Cayo Coco and the remodelling, administration and management of various tourist resorts (including the emblematic Hotel Habana Riviera) through the incorporation of mixed enterprises with the Cuban State;
- Legal Counsel for a Spanish concession consortium for maintenance services and operation of urban advertising and furniture in various Mexican cities with regard to the pre-litigious protection of its investment under the BIT subscribed between Spain and Mexico;
- Lawyer for a major Spanish bank in an international arbitration procedure regarding the financing (with CESCE buyer credit for export) extended by a Turkish manufacturer of fiber optic for the purchase of state-of-the-art industrial technology (SZ Stranding);
- Lawyer for one of the most important Spanish banks in an international arbitration to claim repayment of the buyer credit extended to a Moroccan ship owner for construction of various vessels in Spanish shipyards;
- Counsel for a leading French-Spanish company providing environmental, integral water cycle and waste management services for the construction and operation of La Yesca and Santiago Poniente (Chile) landfill, leachate treatment and harnessing of biogas with regard to the pre-litigious protection of the concession’s investment in accordance with the BIT subscribed between Spain and Chile;
- Legal Counsel to leading French-Spanish company’s concession providing environmental, integral water cycle and waste management services and collection of solid urban waste for the city of Santo Domingo with regard to the pre-litigious protection of the concession’s investment in accordance to the BIT subscribed between Spain and the Dominican Republic;
- Legal Counsel in an international arbitration regarding review of prices of a contract for the construction of water conducts for the city of Lisbon, awarded by public tender and partially financed by the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, entered into between the Association for Spanish and Portuguese construction companies and the Portuguese State company in charge of management of the water supply;
- Lawyer for an important Spanish construction and services company in an international arbitration regarding a FIFIC contract for the execution of extension works of the Centro de Transbordo de las Américas in Colón (Panama) subscribed between the world leading maritime container and rolling cargo transport company;
- Lawyer for one of the main Spanish construction companies and an international consortium for concessions for refurbishment and operation of the Red Férrea del Atlántico railway network belonging to the Colombian State in two international arbitrations regarding a contract for railway transport and operation subscribed with an important US coal company and holder of the mining concessions in Colombia;
- Legal Counsel to the concession of the underground rail transport public service for the city of Río de Janeiro with regard to an international arbitration regarding a contract for collaboration for the manufacture of trains subscribed with the most important Spanish company in the sector;
- Lawyer for the most important Peruvian television chain in an international arbitration with regard to a contract for broadcast of sports events subscribed with the corresponding international federation;
- Lawyer for an important multinational train manufacturer in an institutional arbitration regarding a contract for industrial collaboration subscribed with the main Spanish company in the sector for the manufacture and supply to the national Portuguese rail company of eighteen passenger trains for the North-South artery in the Lisbon region;
- Lawyer for an important Ecuadorian company for the production and export of fruit and industrial derivates in an international arbitration regarding a purchase-sale and supply contract for industry machinery and equipment subscribed with a British engineering company;
- Legal Counsel for the group of technical experts appointed by an ad hoc international arbitral tribunal with regard t a purchase-sale and turnkey supply contract for industrial machinery and equipment for cement production subscribed between the main Colombian cement company and a leading Danish engineering company;
- Legal Counsel for a multinational train manufacturer in an international arbitration regarding an agreement for industrial collaboration subscribed with an important Spanish company from the sector of manufacture and supply of trains to the Spanish State services company for passenger and goods rail transport;
- Lawyer for an important Spanish manufacturer of heavy machinery in an international arbitration and legal Counsel in litigation related to a supply contract of a press line for the manufacture of large parts and components business of a well-known Indian group;
- Lawyer for a well-known multinational supplying money transfer services in litigation regarding the restructuring of management and administration of its business in Europe;
- Legal Counsel for an important Spanish electric company regarding the enforcement of an arbitral award passed on a contract for the supply of coal for the production of electric energy subscribed with the Colombian State company in charge of the management of carbon resources;
- Lawyer for various nuclear power stations in ICC international arbitrations in a claim against the contractor supplying the technology and nuclear equipment for defects in the design of the steam generation systems;
- Lawyer for a naval construction and repair company belonging to the Peruvian State in an international arbitration regarding a purchase-sale and supply contract for industrial machinery and equipment for the State merchant marine, subscribed with a highly important Norwegian industrial group;
- Lawyer for a Spanish State bank in an international arbitration regarding infraction with regard to intellectual property of operation and management IT programs during the process of restructuring of the bank;
- Legal Counsel for a railway multinational regarding the tender for the manufacture and supply of two lots of suburban trains (tren-2000) for Spanish State passenger and goods rail transport;
- Legal Counsel for a French-American company for the supply of telecommunications hardware, software and services regarding various domestic arbitrations on operations and commercial activity in Colombia;
- Lawyer for a Mexican hotel company in an international arbitration regarding a development contract in Cancún (Mexico) subscribed with a tour operator belonging to an important Italian company group;
- Lawyer for a Portuguese company in an international arbitration and connected litigation regarding various sale-purchase agreements for a Spanish oil company subscribed, amongst others, with a Spanish foreign capital bank;
- Lawyer for the main Argentinean agricultural cooperative in a FOSFA international arbitration regarding an international sale-purchase agreement of merchandise subscribed with an important Spanish importer;
- Lawyer for an important gas company in an international ad hoc arbitration and related litigation regarding the long term annual 3bcm contract for supply of gas for electric generation subscribed with the leading Spanish electric company;
- Lawyer for an important German manufacturer of sports clothes and items regarding the cancellation and execution in Spain of an ad hoc arbitral award regarding the commercialisation of its products in Spain.